Friday 7 November 2014

'Here's the real reason you didnt get called to audition'

When researching different avenues of literature I stumbled across this fantastic article 'Here's the real reason your didn't get called to audition' written by Phil Willmott, published in the stage. Phill willmott is an award winning director, playwright and arts journalist. The article gives a fantastic insight into the process directors go through during a casting process and how at times it can literally come down to your CV's position in a pile and if luck is on your side!

Below is a particularly interesting extract and I have added the link if anyone would like to read further.

'I was still left with 100 or so more people than I could practically audition, who all looked right and were qualified.
I’m not proud of what I did next
I looked over the list again (and again, and again) last week to weed out a few based on considered judgement but that was barely making a dent so I did something I’m not proud of. I prioritised submission from agents I know and trust and deselected those from agents I’d never heard of. I make sure there’s a contingent in my selection to see who haven’t got agents because on the fringe I want to give those people a chance.'
'I was still about 50 people over so – and this is horrible and unfair – I next cut every third person.
All this is to point out that selection really can be that cruel and arbitrary. I hope that’s some kind of comfort if you are wondering what’s wrong with your CV or picture.
You might not have got the job because you don’t look right or haven’t got appropriate experience. You might have an agent who doesn’t know the right people for that job, or just isn’t very good. But equally, it might just be that luck wasn’t on your side that day.'


 

No comments:

Post a Comment