Monday 10 February 2014

Task 1B

As you may have gathered from my previous post I am completely new to
some aspects of web 2.0 based platforms, not through ignorance or being
a technophobe, but purely out of choice. I find it rather bizarre to
think about complete strangers being able to see pictures, posts and
personal information and even impersonate people...MTV's Catfish.
Leaving details open to ‘the public’ also exposes you to possible fraud
and ‘phishing’ etc.
I know you will all say 'what about privacy settings, only accept
people you know’, but I really do question how safe these so called
privacy settings are and how sure can you be that you are in fact
talking to the person you believe to be???

However the ability to be able to communicate with the rest of the
world at a click is utterly fascinating to me and as such I can
completely value program's such as Facebook for leading the way in
‘real time’, providing international conversation and even giving many
countries where communication is somewhat censored, a voice. Equally
there is the possibility of misrepresentation of the news, information
and current affairs as a real and apparent activity by political
organisations. The current evidence of ‘viral’ posts can demonstrate
the power of any one individual that can quickly lead to a national
uproar! Typical examples include the sensation of 'Gangnam style' which was the first video to reach a billion views on you tube, the individual who put a neighbour’s cat in a wheelie bin or indeed the dance activities of sheep with LED
lights attached to them, all provided remarkable results and gained
massive attention!

Many times whilst working I have found myself questioning the
authenticity and accuracy of information and research. For me it is
vital that the information  I share and pass on to my students is
correct and accurate, this has lead me to improving and widening my
information sources and digging a little deeper to insure the
information I am delivering is correct.

So many people can also utilise resources online to assist them in
learning or clarifying aspects they may have been trying to learn,
especially where they may be hesitant in standing out in a class to say
that they ‘don’t understand’. People without access to schools,
colleges or other learning resources due to where they live or not able
to afford to formal study, need not be excluded from education or
keeping up to date. It is a really wonderful resource and learning
tool.

The concept of using Web 2.0 for professional networking purposes,
expanding ones knowledge & resources is brilliant. Within my teaching I
rely heavily on the ability to have information at my fingertips, you
tube gives me the ability to experience new & original music,
inspirational choreography from across the world and the chance to
comment and ask questions to fellow professionals and practitioners.


Just a few initial thoughts and opinions, I look forward to re-reading the information to go into more depth and expand!

6 comments:

  1. Nicola like the way your are applying the thinking to what you see - our society our culture is one that is lived out in public but Web 2.0 is a fairly new phenomenon. On e think I mentioned on some of the other blogs way 'citing' or actually mentioning some of the ideas by talking about the people who authored the ideas - that is an academic and professional short hand. So if you have related any of the blog ideas to individual thinkers - a site set of brackets (Thinker, 2014) means you are sharing that source. I like the Catfish analogy - film/tv is an influential medium and also the creators often pick up on values that are current at the time. and Gangnam style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH1XGdu-hzQ - and viral videos - yes more please great! How does this all relate to your questioning the authenticity - your digital literacy - how can you tell things are accurate - reliable sources?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicola, I agree with your thoughts regarding your apprehension towards the privacy of identity on web 2.0. It is something I am always aware of especially when it comes to sharing pictures of my son via Facebook. I sometimes think we are a little too free with the images and information we share without thought to how they may be abused by others.
    I also touched on the reliability of some information on web 2.0 and the importance of find the source of information to credit its reliability.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nicola, very interesting blog. I especially agree with what you pointed out where students may be hesitant to ask in class or speak about certain subjects with friends/family and use Web 2.0 to find out what they need to know. They can be mislead, however, more times than not good information is accessible. I am glad you mentioned Catfish as its a fantastic programme, it just makes you aware how careful you have to be before you believe blindly what you see and who you talk to on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nicola,
    Catfish seems to be a sticking point that most people have seen and can understand your comments. Based on this programme, I can completely understand your hesitancy in 'putting yourself out there' on social networking platforms. I believe that everyone using these sites should be educated on internet safety in more detail, in order to understand the implications and what can happen if things do go wrong. In terms of you wanting to guarantee the truth and validity of things you find on the internet, I take it you are not a fan of Wikipedia?!
    Pip :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes - Wikipedia is problematic in terms of authorship - and therefore as a source of expertise although it does collect communal information. You can try to put some expertise and theory behind some of these issues to combine personal experience with expertise… for example another online conversation http://theconversation.com/the-catfish-spies-and-regulators-who-changed-social-media-21251 - it happens to be from an academic ALSO another learning/comment blog http://www.cinemablography.org/catfish.html

    How does this relate to some of the ideas in Reader 1? Did Bruns (2007) expect people to go online with false identities? form Produsage blog - http://produsage.org/node/9

    "The social, collaborative basis of the content creation communities engaged in produsage also indicates this; in produsage projects, the object of the communal effort is almost always as much the development of social structures to support and sustain the shared project as it is the development of that project itself. " (Produsage, 2014, online).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all your comments...
    Wikipedia...its funny really, when I first started using it as a resource I didn't realise that literally anybody can create and add information, naïve I know! so now although I do find it useful for certain aspects, I find myself needing to double check certain information to ensure I am correct.

    ReplyDelete