Monday 7 April 2014

3A/ 3C Range & value of my current Networks/ Sources of information

Networking is a vital element within many career choices, the ability to interact and build contacts with people within your industry can be the key to building a successful and extensive career.
Being a successful Dance performer and teacher can rely heavily on reputation and getting you face known, be it by recommendations, networked online contacts, friends or even social acquaintances.

Recommendations/ Word of mouth.
In my teaching recommendations are vital to ensure I am continually in work. As a freelance performer and teacher, being self motivated and having the ability to 'drum up business' for myself is essential. Much of my work is based within Schools so being able to be in constant communication with the Headteacher is really important. When i first started out with my own business and began to find my feet i would question the head teachers to ask how they came across and would decide to employ different providers, perhaps by email, a phone call or flyers? At almost every case their response would be for them to receive a recommendation from a fellow Headteacher I therefore ensure I take advantage of head teacher networking meets and ask current employers to recommend myself as a way to get my name and work out there and known.

Social Networking i.e. Twitter & Facebook
Social network to most is a vital way of life, the ability to be in constant communication with the world at a touch of a button. Auditions can be posted as late as hours before they take place, location changes, cancellations and most importantly the ability to network with fellow practitioners in your profession. So much of the Dance and Performance world is now spread and built online, with many individuals taking full advantage of the ability to speak to near strangers to further themselves. I found that at many auditions it wasn't necessarily 'what you know' but more 'who you know' which to me just emphasized how important it was to be known within your industry. Getting to know Choreography & Casting Directors before auditions, being in communications with present cast members, finding out as much information as possible about the audition/job and what in particular they would be looking for. All of which can be done through the use of both Twitter, Facebook and other similar Web 2.0 based program's. In a sense not even 'who you know' but 'who knows you!' 

Virtual communities 
A virtual community is a community of people sharing common interests, ideas, and feelings over the Internet or other collaborative networks. Communities such as LinkedIn provide a professional platform for people to openly discuss topics with can In turn lead to many opportunities and 'opening of doors' which might otherwise be closed. One particular community I find incredibly useful to start and create conversation & communication are the BAPP blogs which provide a space to post thoughts and work to a closed community enrolled on the same course encouraging comments and feedback from fellow students and lecturers.


Websites/ Web 1.0 programmes
Websites such as Dance Cast, Spotlight & Dancerspro can be incredibly useful to Dancers such as myself as a way to advertise yourself and begin communications with potential agents and future employers. Each website enables Casting Directors & agents a platform to view online CV's, Head shots & Showreels whilst also giving the performer the opportunity to apply for auditions and jobs. They also provide a way to 'stay in the loop' within the industry and to keep connections open through Websites such as The Stage. 


Dance class/ Social engagements 
A good old knees up or night out on the Town can be the perfect place for networking! The relaxed, fun & social atmosphere can almost guarantee you will find yourself picking up a conversation with a complete stranger, for some reason many of my conversation seem to begin in the ladies loo...Glamorous I know! Many 'artists' tend to head to the same known night spots where you will be immersed by like minded people throughout the evening, random conversations discussing current Performance jobs, up and coming auditions seem to just flow naturally, which in many cases can provide incredibly useful information and give you a new 'contact' within the industry. 
Dance classes & studios again provide a huge platform for networking and picking up new contacts, a great place to mingle and collaborate with other industry professionals who can inform, educate and advise. The information which can be seen plaster across studio walls can be on its own brilliant in finding advertised auditions, workshops and classes.

I must admit when I first thought about Networking Tools my immediate thought was to think about Internet technologies, but when I really began to reflect and think about all the ways in which I Network the concept became so much more. I do believe however a way to possibly improve my personal Networks & contacts could be to take more advantage of the Web 2.0 based program's and virtual communities as I feel these do offer a constant stream of Networking possibilities 24/7.









1 comment:

  1. Thanks Nicola - yes - networking involves our relationships with people - I think the people part is key however we communicate. Technology sometimes actually makes it harder - automation and non-existent help lines - but I like your inclusion of the social engagements - I sometimes forget about these!

    ReplyDelete